On Wednesday, November 8th, those over 16 were invited to a meeting in the Hall about the work of the New Hospital for Women in Euston Road.
Lady Hall took the chair. Miss Elizabeth Clarke told us how Miss Elizabeth Garrett, afterwards Mrs. Garrett Anderson, became the first English woman doctor. Her ambition was to found a hospital for women, staffed entirely by women doctors. The first step towards this hospital was St. Mary’s Dispensary, where Mrs. Garrett Anderson worked among the poorer women who lived near Edgware Road. The number of patients grew so fast that a very small hospital containing ten beds was opened. Stories of the New Hospital spread over London, and patients flocked to it. In 1888 Mrs. Garrett Anderson, who had now a staff of women doctors under her, took a site near Euston. The present building of the New Hospital was then erected. The 70 beds in it are always occupied, and there are many out-patients. The hospital has provided a place where women doctors may learn self-reliance, efficiency, and the power of organisation, after they have passed their medical examinations. In this way, it has, perhaps, been more influential than any other institution in throwing open the medical profession to women.
Miss Douglas spoke about the good qualities which the medical profession requires from a woman. During her speech a collection was made for the hospital, which amounted to over £9.
Lady Hulse thanked Lady Hall, Miss Elizabeth Clarke, and Miss Douglas for giving us the meeting.
All the speeches were very interesting, particularly to those who are hoping to become doctors themselves when they grow up.
M. CHILTON, Upper VI.